Tuesday 10 May 2016

Migration Day at Little Marlow

I was on my way to the dentist when I heard from Adam Bassett that four Black Terns were at Little Marlow GP!  Over the next couple of hours a series of updates said that the Black Terns had been joined by a Little Gull and two Arctic Terns!  This is great stuff for Little Marlow which had been very quiet during the recent fine weather (whereas today was very wet with SE winds).
I eventually got down there closer to lunchtime.  The birds were still present along with three Ringed Plovers and a couple of Common Sandpipers.  So migration in full swing!
Photography was not easy in the steady rain (under an umbrella).  The Ringed Plovers were very distant on the far side of the sand spit and even though I walked to the east bank of the lake, I could not get very close to the Terns.  The Little Gull did approach a little closer and I managed to get a few half decent photos.  Most of the Tern photos are best forgotten!

The Little Gull does a fly past for the Cormorants

Yes there are two Black Swans in the background!





Common Tern - Possibly a migrating bird as more were present than usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment