Wednesday 24 April 2024

Portland Bill

 A walk around the migrant hotspot of Reap Lane and Barleycrates Lane produced very little apart from hundreds of House Sparrows and a single Stonechat.  There were however a steady flow of Swallows over, all heading north.

Stonechat - One of the more interesting birds of the first bit of my walk.

I then decided to drive the short distance to Portland Bill.  I didn't expect to see much on the sea (given the recent wind conditions) apart for the local breeding birds but I was still hoping for one or two grounded passerine migrants.  I did manage to find two Wheatears but they were within the MOD fenced off area so photography was a waste of time.

On the very end of the Bill I did manage to find a group of five Purple Sandpipers, so I spent a few minutes photographing those, after a clamber over a slope of boulders.  

Purple Sandpiper - One of the five present.

Searching for food on what seemed like bare rock!


Purple Sandpipers - My camera, a Sony RX10 is pretty good at flight shots
and I managed to grab on half decent image when they flew a short distance.

A short video clip of Purple Sandpipers

Turnstone - searching in the weeds for some food.

Common Tern - This bird did not look to be in great shape and may have had blood
on the side of it's head.  It seemed reluctant to move.


Razorbills - This part of the Auk colony is easily viewed from the Bill. 
These were Razorbills with the Guillemots presumably breeding around the headland.




No comments:

Post a Comment